- We Beheld His Glory - Volume 1
Meditations in John's Gospel
by T. Austin-Sparks
Originally published by Witness and Testimony Publishers in 1935. Subsequently reprinted (with permission) by Testimony Book Ministry.
The content of this little volume is not intended to be a commentary in the usually understood sense, neither is it an exposition of all that the Gospel of John contains, but just a setting forth of a measure of the spiritual meaning of each chapter. The messages are intended to be more for spiritual life than for Bible study. The reader is asked to bear in mind that the spoken form is retained, which differs greatly from the precise literary style of direct writing. - T.A-S
- Chapter 1
Summarizes John's Gospel. "John" Peculiarly for the Church. Two Main Features: (1) The Person of Christ; (2) Union with Christ. Two Features of Christ in Manifestation. A Living Testimony Amidst Religious Death. John's Favorite Word for Miracle. John's Theme - The Testimony of Jesus. Some Great Words of "John".
- Chapter 2 - "Full of Grace and Truth"
Glory in Terms of Grace and Truth. The Church - A Company Who Have Seen. The Great Inclusive "Sign". The Third Day - Fullness of Divine Testimony. Fullness Out of Emptiness. Life Out of Death. Joy Out of Sorrow. Glory Out of Shame. Governing Factors. The Link of Faith.
- Chapter 3 - Great Truths and Their Laws
Every Divine Truth is Governed by a Law. Three Things About These Laws: (1) God Maintains Them; (2) The Peril of Truth Being Taken Up Without Its Laws; (3) Understanding May Come After Experience. The First Great Truth - The Kingdom of God. The Law of the Kingdom of God. New Birth - A Fundamental Difference. The New Birth - Its Basis.
- Chapter 4 - The Necessity for New Birth
The Truth of Eternal Life. The Meaning of Eternal Life. The Nature of Eternal Life. The Law of Eternal Life. All Related to Christ Personally.
- Chapter 5 - Walking in the Power of God
- Chapter 6 - Life Triumphant Over Death
Union with Christ in Life a Dominant Theme. The Law of Feeding Upon Christ. The Significance of a Changed Tense. Christ's Body - An Incorruptible Humanity. What Feeding Upon Christ Means. Feeding by Prayer. Feeding by the Word. Sustenance by Fellowship. Enrichment by Worship.
- Chapter 7 - A New Day Foreshadowed
Christ Fulfills the Feast of Tabernacles. Christ in Glory, and the New Day. The Law of the Life Hidden in God.
- Chapter 8 - Made Free by the Son
(1) Bondage to the Law; (2) Bondage to Sin; (3) Bondage to Satan; (4) Bondage to Judgment. Christ - The Truth Making Free. The Law Fulfilled, God Satisfied. Sin Atoned for, Man Justified. Satan Overthrown, Man Delivered. Judgment Suffered, Man at Rest. The Family of the Free. A Curious Feature. The Person of Christ Before the Doctrine. The Superiority of Christ. A Change from Law to Grace. Christ Writes on the Ground, God Writes in the Dust.
- Chapter 9 - Spiritual Enlightenment
The Mystery of Israel's Blindness. Christ and the Sabbath Again. The Works of God. What the Knowledge of God Is. Christ - the Answer to Every Problem. The Law of Spiritual Enlightenment. The Living Christ or Dead Tradition. The Cost of Spiritual Sight.